InDesign CS6 Advanced VILT
InDesign CS6 Advanced VILT Course Summary
This LiveOnline class teaches the advanced features of Adobe InDesign to create and design content for the Web as well as print. There are over 60 unique character and paragraph formatting features. We will document all and cover extensively the most commonly used ones. Students will discover the “Library Feature” which will allow for the storage of images, logos, and text boxes for easy access. The “Books” feature will define each chapter as a separate file, and allow page numbers to be automatically adjusted. This will reduce the overall file size of the document by splitting it up into segments. The “Large Document” feature has the ability to use styles in order to create a Table of Contents, footnotes, and an index. The final project for the course will be a more creative process which will require using many of the manipulation and formatting capabilities taught in the class. Rather than giving a predefined layout, students will need to develop their own style based on the concepts covered. Many of the features are similar to CS4 and CS5; therefore, don’t hesitate to attend due to the differences in versions. If you do not have the application installed on the computer, please just give us a call to help install an evaluation version.
- Review Fundamental Features – Mac vs Windows, Panels, Story Editor, Tables, Placement, Text Frames, Vertical Justification, Objects, New Document, Threading, Text Properties, and Master Pages.
- Object Adjustments – Create Library, Add Objects to Library, Link Panel, Color Bullets, Drag n Drop, Static Captions, Live Captions, Create Duplicate Items, Transparency, Anchored Objects, Anchored Objects Inline, Anchored Objects Above, Clipping Paths, Compound Paths, Convert Paths, Type Outlines, Move Connection Points, and Distort a rectangle.
- Tools – Selection, Direct Selection, Page, Gap, Content Collector, Content Placer, Type, Type on a path, Line, Pen, +Anchor Point, -Anchor Point, Convert Shape, Pencil, Smooth, Erase, Rectangle Frame, Ellipse Frame, Polygon Frame, Rectangle, Ellipse, Polygon, Scissors, Free Transform, Rotate, Scale, Shear, Gradient Swatch, Gradient Feather, Note, Eye Dropper, Measurement, Hand, Zoom, Color Fill, Formatting affects container, Formatting affects text, Apply Color, Gradient, and None, Normal Display, Preview View, Bleed View, Slug View, and Presentation View.
- Character Formatting – Controls, Font Family, Character Type, Font Size, Leading, All Caps, Small Caps, Superscript, Subscript, Underline, Strikethrough, Kerning, Tracking, Vertical Scale, Baseline Shift, Horizontal Scale, and Skew.
- Paragraph Formatting – Controls, Left Align, Justify with last line aligned left, Center Align, Justify with last line aligned center, Right Align, Justify all lines, Align towards spine, Align away from spine, Left Indent, First line left indent, Right Indent, Last line right indent, Space Before, Drop Cap Number of Lines, Space After, Drop Cap one or more characters, Bulleted List, Numbered List, Paragraph Style, Hyphenate, Do not align to baseline grid, Clear Overrides in selection, Number of columns, Align to baseline grid, and orizontal Cursor Position,
- More Formatting Options – OpenType, Ligatures, Underline Options, Strikethrough Options, No Break, Adobe World-Ready Single-line, Composer, Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer, Adobe Paragraph Composer, Adobe Single-line Composer, Only Align First Line to Grid, Balance Ragged Lines, Ignore Optical Margin, Justification, Keep Options, Span Column, Hyphenation, Drop Caps and nested Styles, GREP Styles, Paragraph Rules, Bullets and Numbering, Dock at top, Dock at bottom, and Float.
- Styles – Track Changes, Setting Tabs, Paragraph Styles, Applying Paragraph Styles, and Character Styles.
- Long Document Elements – Book Structure, Sync Documents, Table of Contents, Odd or Even Page, Add page numbers, Introduction to be iii, Set up the Tabs, Chapter Table of Contents, updating Table of Contents, Indexing, Generate an Index, and Add Footnotes
- Import / Export / Print – Package Files and Merged Data.
NO TEXT BOOK IS NEEDED FOR THIS CLASS