Microsoft Windows 7: Basic
Microsoft Windows 7 Basic Course Summary
Course Objective: You will log on to Windows 7, explore its interface, identify the different components in the interface, customize the Windows 7 desktop, manage files and folders, use the common tools and programs available in Windows 7, and browse the Internet.
Target Student: This course is designed for any worker, business professional, or private individual who needs knowledge in operating systems and file management skills.
Prerequisites: To ensure your success in this course, we recommend that you take up the Introduction to Personal Computers course available at ElementK or possess equivalent experience.
- Intel® Pentium® IV 800 MHz or higher
- Minimum 512MB of RAM or higher
- 128 MB graphics processor that supports DirectX® 9.0
- Generic Monitor (1024×768)
- 16 GB hard disk space for 32 bit or 20 GB hard disk space for 64 bit
- DVD R/RW drive
- High-speed Internet connection
Each computer requires the following software:
- Microsoft® Windows® 7 Ultimate Edition
- DirectX® 9.0
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- log on to Windows 7, explore its interface, and identify the different components present in the interface.
- customize the Windows 7 desktop.
- manage files and folders.
- use the common tools and programs available in Windows 7.
- browse the Internet.
Lesson 1: Exploring Windows 7
- Topic 1A: Identify Personal Computer Functionality
- Topic 1B: Log On to Windows 7
- Topic 1C: Explore the Desktop
- Topic 1D: Work with Windows
- Topic 1E: Access the Help and Support Feature
- Topic 1F: Turn Off the Personal Computer
Lesson 2: Customizing the Windows 7 Desktop
- Topic 2A: Customize the Start Menu
- Topic 2B: Customize the Taskbar
- Topic 2C: Personalize the Desktop
- Topic 2D: Add Gadgets to the Desktop
Lesson 3: Managing Folders and Files
- Topic 3A: Navigate to Folders Using Windows Explorer
- Topic 3B: Work with Folders and Files
- Topic 3C: Secure Folders and Files
- Topic 3D: Organize Folders and Files
- Topic 3E: Search for Folders and Files
Lesson 4: Using Common Tools and Programs in Windows 7
- Topic 4A: Create a Document in WordPad
- Topic 4B: Work with the Calculator
- Topic 4C: Capture Screens Using the Snipping Tool
- Topic 4D: Customize a Graphic with the Paint Tool
Lesson 5: Browsing the Internet
- Topic 5A: Get Familiar with the Internet
- Topic 5B: Browse Websites Using Internet Explorer 8
- Topic 5C: Download and Install a Gadget
Appendix A: Windows 7 Keyboard ShortcutsAppendix B: Personal Computer Basics