- This event has passed.
Microsoft Excel Intermediate
June 9, 2020 @ 8:30 am - 3:30 pm
Microsoft Excel Intermediate
Microsoft Excel Intermediate Course Summary
Whether you need to crunch numbers for sales, inventory, information technology, human resources, or other organizational purposes and departments, the ability to get the right information to the right people at the right time can create a powerful competitive advantage. After all, the world runs on data more than ever before and that’s a trend not likely to change, or even slow down, any time soon. But with so much data available and being created on a nearly constant basis, the ability to make sense of that data becomes more critical and challenging with every passing day. You already know how to get Excel to perform simple calculations and how to modify your workbooks and worksheets to make them easier to read, interpret, and present to others. But, Excel is capable of doing so much more. To gain a truly competitive edge, you need to be able to extract actionable organizational intelligence from your raw data. In other words, when you have questions about your data, you need to know how to get Excel to provide the answers for you. And that’s exactly what this course aims to help you do.
This course builds upon the foundational knowledge presented in the Microsoft® Office Excel® Part 1 (Second Edition) course and will help start you down the road to creating advanced workbooks and worksheets that can help deepen your understanding of organizational intelligence. The ability to analyze massive amounts of data, extract actionable information from it, and present that information to decision makers is at the foundation of a successful organization that is able to compete at a high level.
This course covers Microsoft Office Specialist exam objectives to help students prepare for the Excel Exam and the Excel Expert Exam.
**Course outline may vary slightly depending on software version (ie. 2010, 2013, 2016 etc).**
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to leverage the power of data analysis and presentation in order to make informed, intelligent organizational decisions.
- Customize the Excel environment.
- Create advanced formulas.
- Analyze data by using functions and conditional formatting.
- Organize and analyze datasets and tables.
- Visualize data by using basic charts.
- Analyze data by using PivotTables, slicers, and PivotCharts.
This course is designed for students who already have foundational knowledge and skills in Excel and who wish to begin taking advantage of some of the higher-level functionality in Excel to analyze and present data.
To ensure success, students should have completed Logical Operations’ Microsoft® Office Excel® Part 1 (Second Edition) or have the equivalent knowledge and experience.
Course-specific Technical Requirements
For this course, you will need one workstation for each student and one for the instructor. Each computer will need the following minimum hardware configurations:
- 1 GHz or faster x86- or x64-bit processor with SSE2 instruction set
- 2 GB RAM
- 3 GB available hard disk space
- DirectX10 graphics card and a 1,024 x 576 or higher resolution monitor (1,024 × 768 resolution or higher monitor recommended)
- CD-ROM drive (if installing any software from a CD-ROM)
- Keyboard and mouse (or other pointing device)
- Network cards and cabling for local network access
- Internet access (contact your local network administrator)
- Printer (optional) or an installed printer driver
- Projection system to display the instructor’s computer screen
- Microsoft® Office Excel® Professional Plus
- Microsoft Office Service Pack 1 or latest update (32-bit update or 64-bit update depending on your system)
- Microsoft® Windows® 8 or 8.1 Professional
- Latest Microsoft Windows 8 or 8.1 Service Pack (if available)
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 8, 9, 10, or 11; Mozilla Firefox 10.x or later, or Google Chrome 17.x
- .NET Framework version 3.5, 4.0, or 4.5
- Microsoft® Silverlight® 5.0 plug-in
- If necessary, software for viewing the course slides (instructor machine only)
Lesson 1: Customizing the Excel Environment
Topic A: Configure Excel Options
Topic B: Customize the Ribbon and the Quick Access Toolbar
Topic C: Enable Excel Add-Ins
Lesson 2: Creating Advanced Formulas
Topic A: Use Range Names in Formulas
Topic B: Use Specialized Functions
Topic C: Use Array Formulas
Lesson 3: Analyzing Data with Functions and Conditional Formatting
Topic A: Analyze Data by Using Text and Logical Functions
Topic B: Apply Advanced Conditional Formatting
Lesson 4: Organizing and Analyzing Datasets and Tables
Topic A: Create and Modify Tables
Topic B: Sort Data
Topic C: Filter Data
Topic D: Use SUBTOTAL and Database Functions
Lesson 5: Visualizing Data with Basic Charts
Topic A: Create Charts
Topic B: Modify and Format Charts
Lesson 6: Analyzing Data with PivotTables, Slicers, and PivotCharts
Topic A: Create a PivotTable
Topic B: Analyze PivotTable Data
Topic C: Present Data with PivotCharts
Topic D: Filter Data by Using Slicers
Appendix A: Microsoft Office Excel Exam 77-420
Appendix B: Microsoft Office Excel Expert Exams 77–427 and 77-428
Appendix C: Financial Functions
Appendix D: Date and Time Functions
Appendix E: Working with Graphical Objects
All classes begin at 8:30 am. Actual class duration may vary depending on how quickly the individual or group is picking up the presented material. Once the material has been completely presented, participants are encouraged to ask questions so they leave with a full understanding of the course topics.
We also permit participants to re-take the course at no additional charge if they feel they would benefit. All course retakes must be completed within a 3-month time period from the original course. All course retakes must be taken at a time when the same public course is scheduled to run. The 3-month retake window may be modified if a student desires a retake and the scheduled public course is either canceled or full. We will work with you to schedule a retake date to ensure you obtain the information you need from the course.